This week we celebrated a day of global importance to all humans – not just women. International Women’s Day is about working towards a reality where we never overlook creative and innovative minds because of gender. Instead, we tap into their juice and put their ideas to good use. Personally fulfilling and profitable use.
That’s right, once we reach true parity we’ll all be making more money! Sadly the World Economic Forum estimates this won’t happen until 2133. Let’s prove them wrong and advocate today, shall we?
To inspire you, here are 10 of my favorite quotes from amazing women who are paving the way for parity around the globe:
- In a year where Oscars nominations lacked diversity, Kerry Washington stood by her decision to attend and present: “For me, I felt like my voice – in my heart – is best used at the table.”
- Sheryl Sandberg: “We need women at all levels, including the top, to change the dynamic, reshape the conversation, to make sure women’s voices are heard and heeded, not overlooked and ignored.”
- Mindy Kaling: “I always get asked: ‘Where do you get your confidence?’ I think people are well meaning, but it’s pretty insulting. Because what it means to me is: ‘You, Mindy Kaling, have all the trappings of a very marginalised person. You’re not skinny, you’re not white, you’re a woman. Why on Earth would you feel like you’re worth anything?”
- Malala Yousafzai: “We cannot all succeed when half of us are held back.”
- Sarah Silverman: “As soon as a woman gets to an age where she has opinions and she’s vital and she’s strong, she’s systematically shamed into hiding under a rock.”
- G.D. Anderson: “Feminism isn’t about making women stronger. Women are already strong. It’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength.”
- Tina Fey: “Know what? Bitches get stuff done.”
- Maya Angelou: “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick some ass.”
- Madeleine Albright: “It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent.”
- Beyoncé: “We need to reshape our own perception of how we view ourselves. We have to step up as women and take the lead.”